Panic when starting X with Intel KMS

From: Gustau Pérez i Querol <gperez_at_entel.upc.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:59:52 +0200
    Hi,

    I'm having panics or hard freezes when starting X with an Intel
video card. The machine is able to start old X+twm without problems but
when I try gnome3 (in normal or fallback mode, doesn't matter) the
machine panics or hard freezes.

    This doesn't happen when running X with vesa. With vesa the gnome is
able to start in debug mode. Also, an old i386 with an nvidia card is
able to run that gnome3 with composition so I'd say it has to do with
the intel card.

    These are the specs of the machine:

      FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #4 r+3dc57aa: Wed Jul 17 15:13:07 CEST 2013
      root_at_portgus:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM amd64
      FreeBSD clang version 3.3 (tags/RELEASE_33/final 183502) 20130610
      RAM: 8GB
      Video Card: Intel chipid=0x00468086

    The debugging knobs in the kernel config are there. I can also
confirm that I can break to the debugger with CTRL+ALT+ESC before
starting X. The world was build without debug symbols.

    Because the machine runs with an Intel card, I had to use my $work
dockstation to obtain a serial port and do the debug via serial port.

   When starting X, either the machine freezes hard (and so no
CTRL+ALT+ESC) or the machine panics. It has never executed X without
panics or freezes.

    I was able to obtain a core dump, the results are at:

         https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2094962/core.txt.4

    I was unable to dive further because the dump only shows the kernel
side of things. The bt only seems to show the kernel side an the user
side of things seems  to be corrupt. Any other info I can provide, let
me know. I can easy do the debug via serial port.

    Gus

--
    Salut i força,

    Gustau

Prou top-posting :	http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Stop top-posting :	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

O O O Gustau Pérez i Querol
O O O Unitat de Gestió dels departaments
O O O Matemàtica Aplicada IV i Enginyeria Telemàtica

       Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
       Edifici C3 - Despatx S101-B
  UPC  Campus Nord UPC
       C/ Jordi Girona, 1-3