Re: [Heads up] BSD-licensed patch becoming the default RSN.

From: Pedro Giffuni <pfg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 20:29:44 -0500
Hi Jan;

El 26/07/2013 8:01 p. m., Jan Beich escribió:
> bsdpatch doesn't list files of the failed hunks with -C and -s option.
> This may be less convenient if you edit a patch directly rather than
> regen it after polluting the tree.
>
> $ patch -CEfsp0 -i /path/to/varsym.diff
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed
> 1 out of 2 hunks failed
> 2 out of 2 hunks failed
> 1 out of 5 hunks failed
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed
> zsh: exit 1
>
> $ gnupatch -CEfsp0 -i /path/to/varsym.diff
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed--saving rejects to contrib/openbsm/etc/audit_event.rej
> 1 out of 2 hunks failed--saving rejects to lib/libc/sys/Makefile.inc.rej
> 2 out of 2 hunks failed--saving rejects to sys/security/audit/audit_private.h.rej
> 1 out of 5 hunks failed--saving rejects to sys/security/audit/audit.h.rej
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed--saving rejects to sys/bsm/audit_kevents.h.rej
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed--saving rejects to sys/kern/syscalls.master.rej
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed--saving rejects to sys/sys/priv.h.rej
> zsh: exit 8

Very interesting, thank you!

Now, just some food for thought, but if you are unsure your patch
applies cleanly, why would you choose to use the -s (silent) option?
It would seem to me that some people may want the -s option to be truly
silent (those paths may be long) and since those .rej files are not
really being created it is consistent not to list them.

FWIW, one thing that I have been thinking is that it may make sense to
update gnupatch to the latest GPLv2 version and decide later when to
drop it.

Regards,

Pedro.