Re: [Heads up] BSD-licensed patch becoming the default RSN.

From: Pedro Giffuni <pfg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 09:48:03 -0500
On 26.07.2013 23:11, Jan Beich wrote:
> Pedro Giffuni writes:
>
>> Now, just some food for thought, but if you are unsure your patch
>> applies cleanly, why would you choose to use the -s (silent) option?
> Because by default patch(1) is overly verbose. At first, I'm only
> interested if a patch applies cleanly, then what files fail to apply.
> To fix the patch I just repeat over edit a hunk (or two) and confirm
> patch(1) no longer rejects it.
>
> With -Cs giving up is easy at any time. One may not care about
> a failed hunk in a man page or prefer to edit a patch as the whole
> instead of on per-file (.rej file) basis.

I would tend to do -Cs just to see if it applies cleanly or not and
if there is a failure then do -C to see the failure. Actually I always
use -C from the start.

In any case, I find it reasonable to want to preserve the GNU patch
behaviour.  The code is rather simple so I would encourage other
interested people to look at it, or I will look at it at a later time.

Pedro.