Re: Cannot startx on FreeBSD10 Current

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:33:48 -0700
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Walter Hurry <walterhurry_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT (r251572) amd64 in a VirtualBox VM.

 Recently, I started mentoring a Google Summer of Code student for the
FreeBSD project.
I worked with the student to set up a VM to run FreeBSD, with full
graphical desktop.

You might want to follow the instructions that the student followed here:

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/rodrigc/2013/05/24/setting-up-a-vm-for-doing-gsoc-work/

Only interesting details:
  (1)  Student used VMWare player instead of VirtualBox  (shouldn't be a
big deal).
  (2)  We used pkgng to install binary packages
  (3)  We used one of the pkgng mirrors, since pkgng packages from
FreeBSD.org aren't fully available yet

Other than that, things worked fine, and the student was able to get a full
FreeBSD with graphical desktop inside
a VM.

--
Craig