Re: gpart: can not add MBR partitions with "gpart add -t mbr"

From: Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:02:20 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Having a 1TB disk with a MBR partition layout created successfully with
> "gpart create -s MBR ada4", which is shown as
>
> Geom name: ada4
> modified: false
> state: OK
> fwheads: 16
> fwsectors: 63
> last: 1953525167
> first: 63
> entries: 4
> scheme: MBR
> Consumers:
> 1. Name: ada4
>   Mediasize: 1000204886016 (931G)
>   Sectorsize: 512
>   Mode: r0w0e0
>

> it is impossible for me to create a partition with
>
> gpart add -t mbr ada4
>
> as it can be read in the manpage of gpart.

I can't find that in 9-stable or -head.  If it's a literal example,
please point it out and I'll fix it.

> Whatever I do, I receive a
> useless error from gpart
>
> gpart: Invalid argument
>
> with no further information.
>
> In kernel, I already added GEOM_MBR. geom_part_mbr and geom_part_ldm
> kernel modules are then already loaded.
>
> I tried to figure out what's going wrong but this seems highly
> enigmatic.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

"mbr" is partitioning scheme, not a partition type.  Common MBR
partition types that gpart knows by name are freebsd, freebsd-ufs,
freebsd-zfs, ntfs, no doubt lots of others but offhand I don't know
where to get the whole list.

Examples shown here (MBR in the second half):
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

Numbers can also be used for partition types by prefixing them with an
exclamation point, but that must be escaped to keep the shell from
interpreting it:

   gpart add -t \!12 -s1G ada0

That would add a "FAT32X/LBA" partition.  There's a list of values here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_type