Re: gpart: can not add MBR partitions with "gpart add -t, mbr"

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:34:52 -0700
On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Genre Roger <genre.roger_at_orange.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I refer to gpart(8) manpage (9.1 release, updated jan 25,2013), I
> find the description of partition types a bit confusing.
>
> Considering the case of a MoBo with "old way" Bios (non UEFI), the only
> scheme allowed to get a bootable system is MBR. (Note that after booting,
> your OS is able to manage gpt-scheme on different providers.)

You can boot off GPT partitions using the PMBR bootcode (gpart -b
/boot/pmbr ada0) on just about any system.  I was booting my P4 running
FreeBSD 8.something off a GPT-partitioned USB stick for over a year (maybe
2?) before converting it to PC-BSD 9.1 booting off a ZFS dual-mirror pool
(also using GPT partitioned disks).

Can't speak to the rest of your post.  I only use gpart for GPT partitioned
disks, and use fdisk/bsdlabel for non-GPT partitioned disks.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash_at_gmail.com