Re: NFSv4 console messages (locks lost etc.)

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:22:14 -0400 (EDT)
Lars Eggert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I should have mentioned that the server is FreeBSD -STABLE running
> newnfs, and the network isn't partitioned (because I access the box
> over SSH at the same time I see these messages.)
>
> They only appear under heavy NFS load (portmaster build of math/R in
> this case.)

Oh, one more thing. If the server hits NFSRV_V4STATELIMIT for a total
count of opens and locks (defined in sys/fs/nfs/nfsport.h) it will stop
doing opens and pretty well come to a grinding halt.

The default of 500000 seems pretty generous, but since it was chosen
to avoid resource exhaustion on a single core PIII with 256Mbytes of
RAM, increasing it is probably safe for more modern server hardware.
(You'll need to edit sys/fs/nfs/nfsport.h and rebuild a kernel. It isn't
 a sysctl.)

rick