Re: r247835: drm2 code breaks buildkernel

From: Jean-Sébastien Pédron <jean-sebastien.pedron_at_dumbbell.fr>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:27:07 +0100
On 05.03.2013 15:54, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> A fix for these is in my big "get it to compile" patch that I emailed
> you both the other day.

Sorry, I didn't take the time to read it yet :-/

>>> dev/drm2/ttm/ttm_page_alloc.c:122: warning: declaration does not declare anything
>>> dev/drm2/ttm/ttm_page_alloc.c:123: warning: declaration does not declare anything
>
> Experimentation shows that this warning is triggered because we use
> -std=iso9899:1999.  It can be turned off again by adding --ms-extensions
> too.
>
> Alternatively, my big patch replaces all these anon unions with
> named ones.  There are lots of these in this code, though.  Doing
> this adds lots of patch bloat.

Yes, the flag is preferable. I didn't have the time to test it earlier
either, until now. I confirm that it works with both clang and gcc.

> There is a further problem not mentioned here.  Three of the files
> make use of a pointer to a volatile int but later cast this to a
> (void *).  Because we also have -Wcast-qual, this cast triggers
> "cast discards qualifier on pointer target type" warnings and because
> of -Werror, this then aborts.  What's the best way to fix that?

Those warnings are in the radeon driver, not ttm, aren't they? At least,
the build finishes properly on my computer with gcc and clang with just
-fms-extensions.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron