Re: r247839: broken pipe - for top, sudo and ports

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:44:30 +0100
On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 08:04:57AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:35:48 pm Hartmann, O. wrote:
> > On recent FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64 (CLANG buildworld, serveral systems
> > (3) the same symptoms)), many services drop a sporadic
> >
> > broken pipe
> >
> > This happesn to system's top (I have to type it several times to get
> > finally a top), it happens to "sudo su -", it happens to SSH (drops
> > connection with broken pipe) and as I reported earlier, it seems to
> > affect the entire port system, since I can not build any port, I receive
> >
> > *** [do-extract] Signal 13
> >
> > This is dramatic for me, because several modules (rtc, linux_adobe ...)
> > can not be recompiled as it is required by the last /usr/src/UPDATING
> > entry 20130304.
> >
> > Since dbus fails to start and even the nVidia driver (which is a kernel
> > module, it canot be built and therefore ... ).
> >
> > Dimitry, I put you into CC, just in case. It seems that the last commits
> > (not only the new DRM2 mess) broke something.
> >
> > I hope that others using FreeBSD 10.0CURRENT with CLANG can confirm this.\
>
> Have you tried backing up to just before all of pjd_at_'s file descriptor and
> capsicum commits?  It broke some other stuff initially related to fd passing,
> so I don't think it is beyond imagination that it broke something with UNIX
> domain sockets in general.

Is there a consensus already if this is result of my changes or davide's
r247804?

I just upgraded my laptop to today's HEAD and I don't see any weird
behaviour yet. If someone can provide a way to reproduce the problem,
I'd be happy to investigate.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl