[HEADS UP] pkgng binary packages regression in 1.0.9. Fixed in 1.0.9_1

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 06:29:21 -0500
This only affects binary-packages-only users.

pkg 1.0.9 had a regression with 'pkg update' that will prevent
updating your repository. Please skip this version and use 1.0.9_1.

This version was only in ports for 7 hours. Due to the security
incident, there are still no official FreeBSD packages. If you are
using an unofficial mirror, it is unlikely it would have upgraded to
1.0.9 in the time it was in the tree.

If you are building your own packages and managed to get onto 1.0.9
you can upgrade to 1.0.9_1 as follows:

# cp /usr/local/sbin/pkgs-static .
# pkg delete -f pkg
# ./pkg-static add URL-TO-YOUR-PACKAGESITE/All/pkg-1.0.9_1.txz
#optional
# rm pkg-static

As for how this managed to get released. We did do a functional
test of this before releasing, but due to the nature of 'pkg update'
using a cache, it was not immediately obvious that it was broken.

We do need your help with adding more automated tests.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pkg/2013-March/000016.html
has our call for help on this front and more information.

Regards,
Bryan Drewery