Re: FreeBSD is very slow when Memory chip sizes are imbalanced in slots

From: olli hauer <ohauer_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:28:35 +0100
On 2013-03-18 21:43, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
>> <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Computer A : Memory Chip Sizes : ( 2 GB , 1 GB , 2 GB , 1 GB ) : Working
>>> SLOW . FreeBSD A
>>> Computer B  : Memory Chip Sizes : ( 2 GB , 2 GB , 2 GB , 2 GB ) : Working
>>> FAST . FreeBSD B
>>>
>>> Interchange memory chips :
>>>
>>> Computer A : Memory Chip Sizes : ( 2 GB , 2 GB , 2 GB , 2 GB ) : Working
>>> FAST . FreeBSD A
>>> Computer B  : Memory Chip Sizes : ( 2 GB , 1 GB , 2 GB , 1 GB ) : Working
>>> SLOW . FreeBSD B
>>>

>> What happens if you configure the memory as ( 2 GB , 2 GB , 1 GB , 1 GB )?
>>
>> --
>> DISCLAIMER:
>>
>> No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.
>>

> This can NOT be done  , because
>
> Channel A : Slot 1 :
>                    Slot 2 :
>
> Channel B : Slot 1 :
>                    Slot 2 :
>
> ( Slot 1 , Slot 1 ) should be equivalent when chips inserted to both .
> ( Slot 2 , Slot 2 ) should be equivalent when chips inserted to both .
>
> Thank you ver much .

I suspect the BIOS does not detect the optimal timing for the "SLOW" RAM or
a RAM Module is running on a slower timing.

What happen if you test with only the 2GB or the 1GB modules (to identify possible CHIP issues).
How is the memory detected in the BIOS (timings ...) some newer BIOS can run manual tests to detect timing issues.