Re: Silent reboots in head _at_r248550 starting xdm with x11/nvidia-driver

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 22:08:57 +0200
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:02:39AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 07:44:58PM +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > Ok. The best idea I have right now is to rebuild the nvidia.ko.
>
> OK; I did this: After rebooting (without attempting to either load
> nvidia.ko or start X in any way), I issued:
>
> 	sudo portmaster x11/nvidia-driver
>
> which rebuilt & reinstalled the driver.
>
> I then loaded nvidia.ko, and started xdm -- and as before, the machine
> performed a fairly hard reset.

I looked at the nvidia sources to check that the driver does not use
the interfaces which KBI was changed, and this is indeed the case, as
expected.

I must admit that I have no idea why buffer cache changes could affect
nvidia driver, and with no input on the panic (I hope that it is panic,
and not a reset) have no idea even to speculate. So firewire cable is
probably the must.

Note that I split that import of the work into the series of commits.
The split was done to ease the reading of the chunks, and individual
commits were not functionally tested. Still, you might try to do the
bisect.