Report on issues with fusefs

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 22:16:09 -0700
I've now been using fusefs regularly for a few months and I have found
a few issues that i wanted to report.

Most disturbing is corrupted NTFS systems. On several occasions I have
found an NTFS system could not be written to with either FreeBSD or
Windows. I had to user Windows disk check to repair the file system,
but a few files were lost. this may be an issue with either fusefs or
ntfs-3g. Not sure which, but it is likely tied to the next issue.

On several occasions an attempt to re-boot my systems when NTFS
volumes were mounted failed. After a power cycle the system came back,
but te file systems were not clean and had to be fscked. All UFS
systems checked clean and had no errors at all. I suspect that fusefs
or ntfs-3g was the cause as I have been manually unmounted the NTFS
systems before issuing the shutdown. The unmount has always succeeded
in an odd way (issue 3), and the system has always shut down cleanly.
The failures only seem to have happened when the NTFS volumes have
been written to.

The final issue is that I can't unmount a single NTFS volume. I
normally have two NTFS volumes mounted, but issuing a umount on either
will unmount both. This is rather annoying. I assume it is the result
of all fusefs filesystems being /dev/fuse. I have not been able to
figure out any way to unmount only one volume. I can't say whether
this has any link to the file system corruptions. Could there be an
issue with one of the volumes not actually being properly unmounted
when both are unmounted by a single umount?

While these are a bit of an annoyance, I continue to use fusefs with
ntfs-3g and it generally is working fine.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com