Re: hwpmc support for haswell

From: hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:57:28 -0700
On Mar 23, 2013 8:28 AM, "Oliver Pinter" <oliver.pntr_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/23/13, hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM, hiren panchasara
> > <hiren.panchasara_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Indeed. I've posted it here just to let larger audience know and avoid
> >> possible duplicate work.
> >>
> >> We will wait till we get the hardware to test with.
> >
> > I recently got a ref haswell box to play with.
> >
> > Initial dmesg looks like this:
> >
> > CPU: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 0000 _at_ 2.60GHz (2594.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
> >   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x306c2  Family = 0x6  Model = 0x3c
> > Stepping = 2

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2=0x7ffafbff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,<b11>,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
> >   AMD Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
> >   AMD Features2=0x21<LAHF,ABM>
> >   Standard Extended
Features=0x2fbb<GSFSBASE,TSCADJ,SMEP,ENHMOVSB,INVPCID>
> >   TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
> > real memory  = 8589934592 (8192 MB)
> > avail memory = 8034803712 (7662 MB)
> > Event timer "LAPIC" quality 600
> > ACPI APIC Table: <DELL   CBX3   >
> > FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
> > FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 4 core(s) x 2 SMT threads
> >  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
> >  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
> >  cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  2
> >  cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  3
> >  cpu4 (AP): APIC ID:  4
> >  cpu5 (AP): APIC ID:  5
> >  cpu6 (AP): APIC ID:  6
> >  cpu7 (AP): APIC ID:  7
> >
> > Diffs at:
> > http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/hwpmc_hw.txt
> > Tests I've done:
> > http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/hwpmc_hw_pmccontrol.txt
> > http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/hwpmc_hw_pmctest.txt
> >
> > I am following 325462-045US Jan 2013 sw dev manual and below are the
> > counters
> > which I cannot poke at via pmcstat:
> >
> > Core:
> > "L2_RQSTS.DEMAND_DATA_RD_MISS"
> > "L2_RQSTS.DEMAND_DATA_RD_HIT"
> > "L2_RQSTS.ALL_DEMAND_DATA_RD"
> > "L2_RQSTS.ALL_DEMAND_MISS"
> > "L2_RQSTS.ALL_DEMAND_REFERENCES"
> > "L2_RQSTS.MISS"
> > "CYCLE_ACTIVITY.STALLS_L2_PENDING"
> > "PAGE_WALKER_LOADS.DTLB_L1"
> > "PAGE_WALKER_LOADS.ITLB_L1"
> > "BACLEARS.ANY"
> > "L2_LINES_OUT.DEMAND_CLEAN"
> >
> > Uncore:
> > "UNC_CBO_XSNP_RESPONSE.INVAL_M"
> > "UNC_CBO_CACHE_LOOKUP.ES"
> >
> > For all of them, I get error like this:
> >
> > # pmcstat -p L2_RQSTS.MISS ls
> > pmcstat: ERROR: Cannot allocate process-mode pmc with specification
> > "L2_RQSTS.MISS": Invalid argument
> >
> > Box does not panic or anything.
> >
> > I've tried to double check my changes without success.
> > Is it possible that the documentation has some inconsistencies?
>
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on SMAP feature, when I have a mostly complete patchset,
> can you please test?

Sure,
Hiren