Re: Any objections/comments on axing out old ATA stack?

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 00:29:43 -0700
Alexander Motin wrote this message on Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 09:17 +0200:
> On 28.03.2013 02:43, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >My main concern with the new stuff is that it requires CAM and that's
> >reasonably big compared to the standalone ATA code.
> >
> >It'd be nice if we could slim down the CAM stack a bit first; it makes
> >embedding it on the smaller devices really freaking painful.
>
> Are there many boards now with ATA, but without USB? But I agree, it
> should be checked.

The net4501 board has ATA but no USB.. Also, depending upon use, you
might choose to not include USB, but use ATA, or not use umass, but
the rest of USB...

Someone on a list was talking about trying to get FreeBSD down on a
really small system, 16MB ram...

/me thinks of the old wd driver.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579