Re: panic: in_pcblookup_local (?)

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 20:57:04 -0400
On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 02:30:36PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:08:57 pm Robert N. M. Watson wrote:
> > If in DDB, it would be useful to do a "ps" so we can identify threads in the
> > process, and in particular, whether they might be in the kernel around the
> > moment of the panic.
> >
> > > I will follow up with this information as soon as possible.
> >
> > Thanks. Do keep around as much information as you can from DDB, crashdumps,
> > etc. A useful set of things to keep from DDB includes the initial panic
> > information and trap frame, "show pcpu", "show allpcpu", "trace", "alltrace",
> > "ps", and if WITNESS is compiled in, "show locks" and "show alllocks". On busy
> > systems, all the backtraces add up to a lot of space, so you might hold onto
> > that rather than e-mail it, but contain useful information. Often, debugging
> > this sort of race condition involves looking at what other network-centred
> > threads are doing -- e.g., device-driver ithreads, netisr, other involved user
> > threads. You may be able to extract much of that information using ps on the
> > crashdump (not sure if procstat is there yet for crashdumps) -- if so, be sure
> > to use -H (or whatever the argument is to print thread, not just process,
> > information).

So, I am admittedly not too familiar with DDB.  In fact, I just now
realize the kernel is built without DDB...

Additionally, the kernel is built without WITNESS.

> You can also grab my kgdb scripts from www.freebsd.org/~jhb/gdb/

Thanks for these.

> Put those in a dir and do 'source gdb6'.  You can then run 'ps' to get a good
> ps listing that includes threads.  You can also use 'thread apply all bt' to
> get stacktraces of all threads in kgdb.  I believe there is an 'allpcpu'
> command that is similar to 'show allpcpu' in DDB.

I have the outputs of 'ps', 'allpcpu', and 'thread apply all bt' saved
to separate script(1) files.  Is there anything in particular I can look
for before uploading the files somewhere public?  At quick-ish look
though, I did not see anything cf-agent (the current process at time of
panic) related.

> Robert, in this case he has a full crashdump, so we can get quite a bit of
> information from it.

Right, and I can keep anything available for as long as necessary.

Glen