Re: panic: in_pcblookup_local (?)

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 07:34:40 -0400
On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 12:25:08PM +0100, Robert N. M. Watson wrote:

> On 2 May 2013, at 11:42, Glen Barber wrote:
>
> > Hmm.  Perhaps it would be worthwhile for me to rebuild the current
> > kernel with DDB support.  It looks like the machine has panicked a few
> > times over the last two weeks or so, but based on the timestamps of the
> > crash dumps and nagios complaints, happened during the middle of the
> > night when I would not have really noticed, or otherwise would have just
> > blamed my ISP.
> >
> > Two of the panics are ath(4) related.  One looks similar to the one
> > referenced in this thread, similarly triggered by a CFEngine process.
> >
> > In that case, the backtrace looks like:
> >
> > #4 0xffffffff808cdbb3 at calltrap+0x8
> > #5 0xffffffff807371d8 at in_pcb_lport+0x128
> > #6 0xffffffff8073745a at in_pcbbind_setup+0x16a
> > #7 0xffffffff80737d8e at in_pcbconnect_setup+0x71e
> > #8 0xffffffff80737df9 at in_pcbconnect_mbuf+0x59
> > #9 0xffffffff807bf29f at udp_connect+0x11f
> > #10 0xffffffff80680615 at kern_connectat+0x275
> >
> > Regarding DDB though, it would be rather difficult to access the machine
> > if it drops to a DDB debugger session, since the machine acts as my
> > firewall.
>
> Thanks -- will take a look at the attached.
>
> FWIW, though, I'm worried by the number of panics you are seeing,
> especially given that they involve multiple subsystems, and in
> particular, John's observation about a potentially corrupted pointer.
> This makes me wonder whether (a) you are experiencing hardware
> faults -- it would be worth running some memory/cpu/etc tests and
> (b) if we might be seeing a software memory corruption bug of some
> sort.

I will run memtest this weekend, once I move some wires around so I do
not lose internet access entirely.  I'll run some stress tests that do
not require the machine to be offline in the meantime.

I certainly won't discount hardware issue being the cause.

For what it is worth, I just looked through my svn commit logs for that
machine's configuration, and the only relatively recent change that was
made was enabling powerd(8) - but that was about 3 months ago.

Glen