Re: Kernel build error in hwpmc with system GNU cc

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 17:42:42 +0400
On 02.05.2013 14:06, Davide Italiano wrote:
>> /usr/src/sys/modules/hwpmc/../../dev/hwpmc/hwpmc_core.c:1935: warning: 'map' may be used uninitialized in this function
>> *** [hwpmc_core.o] Error code 1

> You can find a patch attached at the end of this mail that should fix
> the problem.

Thanks, it fix this warning.

> More generally speaking, why are you building -CURRENT using GCC while
> the default compiler has been clang since November 2012?

1) clang is not ready for production, it is too buggy. See its fixes
rate for very common things 'must work' in every compiler. It is
included into -current not because of its quality, but to involve
developers into clang bugfixes to make its progress faster, and
personally me don't want to find clang bugs.

2) Its build time is too long.

3) It generates bigger code.

> Putting the additional burden of
> testing on the committer because two compilers are supported at the
> same time doesn't scale really well, at least according to me.

You'll hit this error later in any case, attempting to MFC your changes
to -stable with GNU cc.

--
bitcoin:13fGiNutKNHcVSsgtGQ7bQ5kgUKgEQHn7N