Re: files disappearing from ls on NFS

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 17:01:35 -0400 (EDT)
Daniel Braniss wrote:
> > Hartmut Brandt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've updated one of my -current machines this week (previous
> > > update
> > > was in
> > > february). Now I see a strange effect (it seems only on NFS
> > > mounts):
> > > ls or
> > > even echo * will list only some files (strange enough the first
> > > files
> > > from
> > > the normal, alphabetically ordered list). If I change something in
> > > the
> > > directory (delete a file or create a new one) for some time the
> > > complete
> > > listing will appear but after sime time (seconds to a minute or
> > > so)
> > > again
> > > only part of the files is listed.
> > >
> > > A ktrace on ls /usr/src/lib/libc/gen shows that getdirentries is
> > > called
> > > only once (returning 4096). For a full listing getdirentries is
> > > called
> > > 5
> > > times with the last returning 0.
> > >
> > > I can still open files that are not listed if I know their name,
> > > though.
> > >
> > > The NFS server is a Windows 2008 server with an OpenText NFS
> > > Server
> > > which
> > > works without problems to all the other FreeBSD machines.
> > >
> > > So what could that be?
> > >
> > Someone else reported missing files returned via "ls" recently, when
> > they used a small readdirsize (below 8K). I haven't yet had a change
> > to try
> > and reproduce it or do any snooping around.
> >
> > There haven't been any recent changes to readdir in the NFS client,
> > except a trivial one that adds a check for vnode type being VDIR,
> > so I don't see that it can be a recent NFS change.
> >
> > If you can increase the readdirsize, try that to see if it avoids
> > the problem. "nfsstat -m" shows you what the mount options end up
> > being after doing the mount. The server might be limiting the
> > readdirsize
> > to 4K, so you should check, even if you specify a large value for
> > the mount.
>
> I don't know about current, but on 9.1-stable, the nfsstat -m only
> works
> for root! nfsstat can be run by anybody.

Yep. I played is "safe" and only allowed root to do it.
I thought that some sysadmins might not want users to know what NFS
mounts are being done and I didn't see any need for non-root to be
able to do it.

Having said the above, I don't have a strong opinion on it or an obvious
example of a security risk caused by opening it up, so if the collective
thinks it should be doable by non-root, it can be changed.

rick