A PRIV_* flag for /dev/mem?

From: Jamie Gritton <jamie_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 13:14:23 -0600
I'm considering Alexander Leidinger's patch to make X11 work inside a
jail (http://leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/0_jail.diff).  It
allows a jail to optionally have access to /dev/io and DRI (provided the
requisite device files are visible in the devfs ruleset).

I'm planning on putting this under a single jail permission, which would
group those two together as device access that allows messing with
kernel memory.  It seems more complete to put /dev/mem under that same
umbrella, with the side benefit of letting me call it "allow.dev_mem".

Currently, access is controlled only by device file permission and a
securelevel check.  Jail access is allowed as long as the /dev/mem is in
the jail's ruleset (it isn't by default).  Adding a prison_priv_check()
call would allow some finer control over this.  Something like:

int
memopen(struct cdev *dev __unused, int flags, int fmt __unused,
     struct thread *td)
{
     int error;

     error = priv_check(td, PRIV_FOO);
     if (error != 0 && (flags & FWRITE))
         error = securelevel_gt(td->td_ucred, 0);

     return (error);
}

The main question I'm coming up with here is, what PRIV_* flag should I
use.  Does PRIV_IO make sense?  PRIV_DRIVER?  Something new like
PRIV_KMEM?  Also, I'd appreciate if anyone familiar with this interface
can tell me if memopen() is the right/only place to make this change.

- Jamie