Re: WITHOUT_CLANG + WITHOUT_GCC vs XCC + WITHOUT_CROSS_COMPILER

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 01:54:11 +0400
Hello, Dimitry.
You wrote 18 мая 2013 г., 1:35:25:

>>  Do we need such mode?
DA> Well, if you are not interested in having any compilers (or toolchain
DA> components) in your final world, they should not be built, right?
  Yes, it is perfectly valid to build system without compiler at all,
IMHO. I mean, do we need mode, when "some" tools is used for
compilation, and compiler is not configured by hands (via new XCxx
variables) and not build at cross-tools stage.

  As I already said, I will be glad to see DIFFERENT knobs to
select stage-3-built (and later used) compiler (external, configured
explicitly via XCxx variables OR clang from sources OR gcc from
sources -- three variants, clang from sources by default, as it is
now) and other set of knobs (current WITHOUT_CLANG and WITHOUT_GCC) to
disable these compilers as parts of TARGET system, like WITHOUT_BIND
and others WITHOUT_xxx.

  These two+ compilers are different ones! And now we haven't any way
to control them separately. Or, really, we have half-backed control:
we could say "don't build cross-compiler, use external one", but we
have no way to say "build cross-compiler, but not target one". It
annoys me. But I afraid, I don't understand out build system well
enough to provide patches, sorry.

 BTW, there is no way not to build binutils, as "install -s" used on
"installworld" stage needs "strip".

>> Is current behavior (risky on, IMHO) Ok?
DA> No, obviously not.  If you build world with "old" system headers (for
DA> example when building head on stable/9), there will be trouble.
  Exactly!

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>