Re: FreeBSD-head hang when shutdown by ACPI with Intel GPU and new Xorg and SandyBridge

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 13:44:12 -0700
On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Artyom Mirgorodskiy <
artyom.mirgorodsky_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> More than a month I can not shutdown FreeBSD on my laptop correctly when
> running Xorg with Intel GPU. However reboot work correctly. Shutdown work
> fine if I choose Vesa driver in xorg.conf. So I can run with intel, then
> edit xorg.conf, kill Xorg server and shutdown correctly. If I shut down
> immediately after loading Xorg - everything is fine too.
> Without the text console is difficult to provide any information :( Why
> would still not recover mode when kill Xorg?
>
> PS
> I try to disable RC6 states -without any changes.
> FreeBSD shutdown correctly before January.

I am seeing similar issues on my Sandybridge running Xorg with KMS, but I
see it on 9-Stable.

The main difference between shutdown and reboot is that shutdown goes
through the rc.d files and issues a 'stop' for each. reboot simply kills
running processes, first by sending SIGTERM and then sending SIGKILL to
those that still live. So something is failing to die and that "something"
is probably X. The system still responds to ICMP ECHOREQUEST (i.e. ping),
but I can't fire up an ssh session.

As the KMS code does not switch the display mode back, once X with KMS
starts, you can't get a console back.

Since the system is deadlocked in this state, I suspect something bad is
happening in the KMS code that leaves the system hung.

I may try to run a firewire console. Never tried it, but it should work.