Re: BSD sleep

From: Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh_at_schweikhardt.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 11:48:32 +0200
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 07:01:40PM -0400, Kenta Suzumoto wrote:
# Hi. Is there no built-in way of making "sleep" sleep in increments
# of minutes, hours, etc? The GNU "sleep" can be invoked like "sleep
# 1h" for an hour. The FreeBSD one's manpage leads me to believe we
# can only use seconds, which is kind of annoying. Is there an
# undocmented or missing feature here? Seems really trivial to
# implement.
#
# ~ $ sleep 1h
# usage: sleep seconds

Perfection is reached when there is nothing left to take away. The GNU
format is already an incompatibility. If I want to sleep longer than 3
digit amount in secs, I do the math. The POSIXly *portable* way to do
this and document it for the mathematically challenged is

    sleep $((2*60*60))    # 2h
    sleep $((7*24*60*60)) # 1w

Regards,

	Jens