Re: Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

From: Eric van Gyzen <eric_at_vangyzen.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:55:11 -0500
On 10/31/2013 05:21 PM, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> >tried pkg.freebsd.org it got below.
>> >Our DNS server can resolve proxy server only.
>> >Only proxy server can resolve internet sites, this is how our company force
>> >all traffic went through proxy server.
>> >
>> >Eric
>> >
>> >Network Error (dns_server_failure)
>> >
>> >   Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting
>> >the DNS server.   The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there
>> >could be a network problem.
>> >If problem persists, please open a ticket with Motorola help desk; and copy
>> >and paste this page in ticket.
>> >
>> >Date/Time: 2013-10-31 22:11:37 Request: GEThttp://pkg.freebsd.org/  Error:
>> >(dns_server_failure) Proxy Name:    proxy
>> >Proxy IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Client IP: zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz
>> >Referer URL:
>> >
> ​So, then manually specific a specific pkg mirror and by-pass the DNS SRV
> record resolution step.​

This kind of proxy configuration is not uncommon.  It would be awesome
if this would Just Work.  It would remove an impediment to adoption,
which is especially important in the kind of environments that have this
kind of proxy configuration.

Simply adding the mirrors' A (and AAAA) records to pkg.freebsd.org might
suffice.

Alternatively, running an HTTP-redirection service on a host named
pkg.freebsd.org would offer as much flexibility as the SRV records, if
not more.  However, it would require maintenance of yet another central
service.

Eric