Overriding sector size on disks?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 19:45:07 -0700
Hi!

I have an odd problem. That, honestly, can't be that odd.

I have a bunch of SATA disks that when plugged into the laptop
directly, show up as 512 byte sectors. But if I plug it in via this
iomega USB caddy, they show up as 4k sector devices.

Because of this, partitions just plainly don't work.

Has anyone faced this? Is there some trick to do to get these things
to go back to being 512 byte sector devices so one can use them?

Similarly, because they show up as 512 byte sector devices on
macosx/linux, they can read/write NTFS/MSDOS partitions on the thing.
But if I plug it into freebsd, it shows up as a 4k sector device and
things plainly don't work.

Thanks!

-adrian