Re: Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

From: Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:50:53 +0000
On 02/11/2013 10:15, Matthias Andree wrote:
> I understand from Eric's pist that the issue is that through his
> limiting proxies, the SRV are not available at all so he does not even
> get to the point where he could get the pkgN.nyi.freebsd.org
> <http://pkgN.nyi.freebsd.org> name back.

That doesn't make sense.  All the DNS SRV lookups on pkg.freebsd.org are
done internally to pkg(8), which then issues an HTTP GET to the specific
mirror selected by its internal algorithms.  The web cache won't see
literal 'pkg.freebsd.org' anywhere in the HTTP traffic -- as far as it
is concerned, it's a simple HTTP request to a specific mirror
'pkg1.nyi.freebsd.org', and can be cached using the usual processes.

What makes it cache unfriendly is that as far as the web cache is
concerned each of the different mirrors appears to be completely
independent of the others.  So at the moment the chance of getting a
cache hit is reduced by a factor of three because of the traffic
distribution across the three mirrors.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--