Re: Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

From: Eric van Gyzen <eric_at_vangyzen.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:01:56 -0500
On 11/02/2013 07:28 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 11:37, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>> Hi!

>>> That doesn't make sense.  All the DNS SRV lookups on pkg.freebsd.org are
>>> done internally to pkg(8),
>>
>> ... which only works, if the DNS server queried answers SRV queries
>> with SRV values.
>>
>> Which is not always true, especially in heavily firewalled environments.
>
> I feel no obligation to do anything to encourage people that
> deliberately break the DNS.  They've made their bed, and now they have
> to lie in it.

Eric Camachat didn't break the DNS:  his network administrator did.
Matthew, you're right:  that doesn't make sense.  But people do it,
often for security, either real or perceived.  In this kind of
environment, many other things are typically equally broken.  I imagine
Eric needs all the encouragement he can get.

Yes, he can reconfigure pkg to use a specific mirror.  I only suggest
that it could be made to work without that manual step (and the research
necessary to determine that step).

Lest anyone think I'm complaining:  I am very impressed with pkg, and I
appreciate all the technical and non-technical effort that Bryan,
Baptiste, and many others spent on making it real.  Instead of a
complaint, consider this a feature request.  That is, after all, the
expected response to a feature announcement.  :)

Eric (van Gyzen)