Re: Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

From: RW <rwmaillists_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 14:10:31 +0000
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 12:28:06 +0000
Matthew Seaman wrote:

> > Which is not always true, especially in heavily firewalled
> > environments.
>
> I feel no obligation to do anything to encourage people that
> deliberately break the DNS.  They've made their bed, and now they have
> to lie in it.

In other words, one more reason to choose Linux. You can only afford to
say "no soup for you" if you're the only soup-nazi in town.

I think there's an important distinction between broken dns and local
dns. If someone wants to provide controlled web access through a web
cache without giving general internet access then I don't see why they
shouldn't.  This doesn't affect admins running servers, it affect
people trying to install FreeBSD on the locked-down part of the
network - typically the desktop machines of developers.

It also seems to be a fundamentally bad idea for a client that knows
it's connected to a proxy to be choosing the server in the first place.