Re: Automated submission of kernel panic reports: sysutils/panicmail

From: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 13:29:27 -0800
On 11/04/13 04:49, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Colin, have you had a few minutes to check out the crash reporting facilities in
> FreeNAS?

Yes.

> The reason I ask is that:
>
> 1) we would like to share code.
> 2) we have this running for a few months now and have a huge corpus of information.
> 3) we are building a nice UI (screenshots attached) over it, we have a couple of
> thousands of lines of code we can share for this.

Once I have a useful number of panics collected, I was hoping to take the best
pieces from FreeNAS's processing, from the SoC project, and from the processing
I've been doing of automatic panic reports from EC2 instances.

> We send a minimal set of information: kernel stack trace, ddb buffer and
> hardware.  Just enough to get some very, very handy stuff.

I'm currently sending the dump header and what I get from kgdb 'bt'.  If I find
that I'm missing something important, I can always add it to a new version of
the panicmail port. ;-)

> I can share with you offline the crash server code, it's django and relatively
> straight forward.

I'll come back to you about this once I have some data.

--
Colin Percival