Re: 10.0-BETA1 i386 on VirtualBox

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 09:02:22 +0200
On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 08:53:41PM +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 06:38:25PM +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> K> Also please show me the CPU features banner from the boot in the VB,
> K> like this:
>
> I have already collected them all. See attaches.
>
> Legend:
>
> dmesg.bb	pwd_mkdb crashes during install
> dmesg.milu.png	pwd_mkdb crashes during install
> dmesg.think	installation succeeds, but world build crashes instantly
> dmesg.ru	all works
> dmesg.morannon	all works

First, all reported instances have ata attachment for the ada0, except
of milu (possibly). So this means that kernel does transient remapping,
and very different code path is executed comparing with what I thought
initially. The path is simpler than the pure unmapped i/o.

Second, I use QEMU with the ata0 attachment for the disks regularly, and
I do not have an issue.  I also did not see a report from the real h/w.

Third point is that all reports are i386.  Is there anybody with amd64,
vbox, ata and the same corruption hiddent by disabling unmapped i/o ?

In what way the non-working images were installed ?  Is it possible to
produce the problematic installs by doing it one way, and non-problematic
by another ?