Re: [CFT] Kernel-Selection Enhancemnt to Boot Menu

From: Kurt Lidl <lidl_at_pix.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:06:23 -0500
> You can try enabling the beastie menu on sparc64 by editing
> /boot/loader.rc:
>
> === Change #1 in /boot/loader.rc to enable beastie menu ===
>
> Find:
> 	\ Reads and processes loader.conf variables
> 	\ NOTE: Change to `initialize' if you enable the below boot menu
> 	start
>
> Change "start" to "initialize" as shown below:
> 	\ Reads and processes loader.conf variables
> 	\ NOTE: Change to `initialize' if you enable the below boot menu
> 	initialize
>
> === Change #2 in [same file] to enable beastie menu ===
>
> Find:
> 	\ Uncomment to enable boot menu
> 	\ include /boot/beastie.4th
> 	\ beastie-start
>
> Uncomment "beastie-start" as shown below:
> 	\ Uncomment to enable boot menu
> 	\ include /boot/beastie.4th
> 	beastie-start
>
> ======
>
> If you find that making those two trivial changes, that you are able to load
> the menu... then maybe it's time for us to start thinking about enabling the
> beastie menu by-default for the sparc64 architecture.

Seems to work just fine.  I tested by booting, toggling through the
different kernel choices (/boot/kernel/kernel /boot/kernel.old/kernel)
and both worked correctly.

(Although I uncommented the "include /boot/beastie.4th" line too.)

> Does anybody else have any thoughts on enabling it for sparc64?

Well, I'd probably be in support of this change - it sure beats having
to interrupt the normal boot sequence and typing:
    unload
    load /boot/kernel.old/kernel
    load /boot/kernel.old/opensolaris.ko
    load /boot/kernel.old/zfs.ko
    boot
When I need to get back to the prior version of the kernel.

-Kurt