Re: [Review] bsdconfig pkgng integration

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 23:53:28 +0000
On Nov 6, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Glen Barber wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 11:37:43PM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:
>>> You do not need to show any servers except pkg.FreeBSD.org.
>>
>> Bapt *just* got finished telling me in IRC that we should also list:
>>
>> pkg.eu
>> pkg.us-*
>>

> Why?
>
>> Which I assume to be the same make/model of pkg.f.o (does not
>> return an A or AAAA but only SVR).
>>

> And if we need to change something with the infrastructure, we now have
> to tell people that this was done.  You are putting hard-coded
> limitations on us.  Don't.

I disagree.

You're making the argument for "what if a CDN goes away".

Well... people stop using that entry because it's broken and in the next release
you remove it.

What sounds like a maintenance issue will actually save you support events.
And for whatever hours that this proposed maintenance actually cost you, you'll
more than make up that in prevented support events.

I'm talking about saving time (because we're all volunteers, right?)

Let me be very explicit...

> With a single entry (pkg.FreeBSD.org), we do not have to worry about
> what is broken if (when) we need to change something.

Let's say that the one entry doesn't do what you want (which requires trusting
the CDN maintenance on the back-end)...

You're telling me that it's more efficient to immediately defer every single user
to the support forums the moment there's a single hiccup in the ONE and ONLY
CDN name that we're providing?

Ok... but let's look at one alternative...

If we listed more than one CDN, and one breaks... the wise and tenacious user
simply ... tries another?

But if there are no other choices... then you'll be headed strait to the forums or
mailing lists and generating what I call a "support event".

I'm sorry, but I don't agree that listing only one single entry is going to be beneficial
to the end-user; only to the person that thinks having a single CDN to maintain is
going to actually save them work (which may only be true if they are not the ones
that have to manage support events).
--
Devin