Re: [Review] bsdconfig pkgng integration

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 02:34:03 +0000
On Nov 6, 2013, at 5:13 PM, Teske, Devin wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 5:02 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 12:48:02AM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:
>>> I think that you're thinking that:
>>>
>>> pkg.eu.freebsd.org
>>> pkg.us-east.freebsd.org
>>> pkg.us-west.freebsd.org
>>>
>>> Will somehow change?
>>
>> I think you're thinking they *won't* change.  Don't assume.
>>

> Well, what *kind* of change?
>
> Changes to what they serve should be no problem...
>
> but what I was assuming that wouldn't change was
> their actual names. (e.g. "pkg.eu" stays "pkg.eu").
>
> Couldn't care about any other change, because that
> would percolate at runtime off the DNS servers.

We concluded that despite the fact that pkg.* are officially
supported names, a POLA issue has been brought to the
top of the discussion.

That is to say, that the concern is that someone may choose
pkg.eu or pkg.us-* and then become astonished if/when
that name mirror is down (precisely because we do not yet
have geodns and because the pkg.{eu,us-*} names are
currently one-to-one mappings).

So in that spirit, we move forward with only the pkg.f.o entry.
--
Devin