Re: cron(8) improvement

From: Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 13:54:59 +0000
On 08/11/2013 04:51, Allan Jude wrote:
> My use case is puppet etc, not ports/packages, so I'll leave the policy
> about packages up to portsmgr_at_, I just want a less sloppy way to manage
> crontabs with my orchestration system (and feature parity with Linux)

There's two questions here:

   1) Should cron(8) support use of /etc/cron.d and/or
/usr/local/etc/cron.d ?

       Clearly yes it should.  Seems a no-brainer to me.

   2) Should ports / packages populate these cron.d directories?

       This is a much more interesting question.  Effectively its asking
       if a port / package should provide some level of automatic
       configuration -- a thing that has previously been a no-no for
       FreeBSD.

       However, I personally would not be completely against this
       *given* the switch to use of sub-packages.  I think having a
       foo-config sub-package as an optional extra would provide the
       best of both worlds.  People who want the same sort of behaviour
       as you get with most Linux distributions can install the
       pre-canned configuration bits; those who prefer the FreeBSD
       traditional approach can simply not install them.

Done right this should also facilitate people writing their own
customized configuration sub-ports.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--