Re: [CFT] bsdinstall and zfsboot enhancements

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 20:30:50 +0000
(disabling default gpg-signing until they fix a bug with the quoting)

On Nov 11, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Michael Dexter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have been experimenting with various BSD and GNU/Linux boot media
> under bhyve and noticed that we may want to accommodate the "LiveCD"
> mode of the installer, which in turn requires the correct console.
>
> Currently, one is prompted for VT100 for installation but this does not
> appear to work/stick for LiveCD mode.
>
> Can anyone verify this?

Sorry, I mistook your issue in the previous e-mail to be on-going with the
thread it was inline with.

"LiveCD" changes things a bit.

(thinks)

I would expect that a prompt could do:

	1. modify /etc/ttys on the boot media
	2. run "init q"

But there's a couple of assumptions...

	3. Can we even write to /etc/ttys?
	NB: We can write to /tmp because it's an md0 swap device

So do we have to get fancy with slipping a unionfs layer backed by another
md swap device above the root?

That would make every file on the boot media writable (writes would go to
the swap-backed md device and if you execute "rm -fW file" you can get back
files that have been previously unlinked -- unlinks are stored as whiteouts in
the swap backed md device). For all intents and purposes, the read-only file-
system becomes writable and we could then munge /etc/ttys to enable serial
only when a menu item is chosen.

If I'm off-base, let me know... sounds like a lot of trouble.

The alternative being that you enable serial by default but then I have to tell
field engineers to unplug barcode readers before they do an install??? (that's
a question, it may be entirely safe, but I've never tried, seems unsafe)

Question is, how would you disable it? Goes back to writable filesystem.
--
Devin