Re: [CFT] bsdinstall and zfsboot enhancements

From: Peter Grehan <grehan_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:43:18 -0800
Hi Nathan,

> I think modifying init is the way to go -- it keeps the install system
> from interfering with the installed one, as well as fixing this kind of
> issue with moved hard drives or PXE booting or what have you.

  I now agree with this :) Modifying /etc/ttys at install time doesn't
work for a lot of cases, LiveCD being the most obvious.

> I would propose one of the following (and volunteer to write the code):
>
> Option A
> ------------
>
> 1. init checks if there is an entry in /etc/ttys for the terminal[s]
> corresponding to the value[s] in kern.console
> 2. If an entry for each console terminal exists in /etc/ttys, enable it
> 3. If not, invent one with a terminal type of "ansi"
>
> The one issue here is that someone may want to force a particular entry
> to off and still have it be the kernel console. This is tricky. We could
> invent a new "status" field that is not "on" or "off" ("auto", maybe, or
> "ifconsole"?). Which brings us to:

  I'd guess that this mode is really a once-off thing - for a live CD,
init could ask the user if they want a getty spawned on this tty similar
to asking for a shell in single-user mode.

  Presumably post-install the user would have edited the ttys file and
init would then be able to locate the entry and not have to prompt.

later,

Peter.