Re: FreeBSD 10 Beta2 /etc/rc.d/named script and /etc/defaults/rc.conf

From: George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 19:59:23 +0200
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Erwin Lansing <erwin_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> under the assumption that there is a Bind in base, which of course would
> already break with WITHOUT_BIND before Bind was completely removed.  It
> will be hard to fix without breaking the installed base of 8 and 9.  Sigh.

> schedule of meetings and travel as well.
> > >
> > > Suggestion. An option to install the rc script would solve that
> problem.
> > >

> > If only it was that simple, it would have been done a long time ago.  As
> Gleb points out, the ports are broken by design.  The rc script needs a
> complete rewrite, and that's only after fixing all configuration files,
> setting up chroot, etc etc and all that while not breaking the installed
> base on 8 and 9.  I spent most of yesterday on this and if I'm lucky, I'm
> halfway through.
> >

> Sorry about the delay, but I did finally update all three dns/bind9*
> ports today.  I have dropped the complicated chroot, and related
> symlinking, logic from the default rc script as I don't think that
> is the right place to implement things.  I would recommend users
> who want the extra security to use jail(8) instead of a mere chroot.
>
> This change should not affect the installed base of FreeBSD 9.x and
> earlier systems, but new installations there should note that the
> symlink option is no longer turned on by default, but still supported.
>
> I tested some default cases, but by no means can test every corner case,
> so please let me know how this works out.
>
> Best,
> Erwin

Excellent thanks so much!

If you had named running using the old rc scripts and config in 10 you will
need to:

1) Backup your zones & stop named
2) Delete /var/named/*
3) Create a new symlink in etc to /usr/local/etc/namedb
4) Restore your zones
5) Start named from the new rc script

--
George Kontostanos