Re: libc++ vs. libstdc++ usage in the ports tree

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 20:40:25 +0100
On 13 Nov 2013, at 19:51, Andriy Gapon <avg_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> on 13/11/2013 19:52 Ryan Stone said the following:
>> In my experience libstdc++ does not have good ABI stability between versions
>
> In my experience it does.
> In either case compatibility between different versions of relatively modern
> libstdc++ version is no doubt much better than between libstdc++ and libc++.

Well, GNU libstdc++ is backwards compatible, so you can run programs
originally linked against our 4.2.1 version of libstdc++.so, using the
latest ports version of libstdc++.so, and they should work.  (Not vice
versa, but that is not a supported use case.)

On the other hand, different C++ standard libraries simply cannot be
mixed.  The internal implementations are usually completely different.
This is not really news at all, certainly not to the ports people. :-)

-Dimitry