Re: Defaults in 10.0 ZFS through bsdinstall

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 21:04:23 +0000
On Nov 14, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Marcus Reid wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 06:35:43PM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Allan Jude wrote:
>>> On 2013-11-14 9:34, Reid, Marcus wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed a couple of things with the ZFS defaults that result from
>>> using the new installer in 10.0-BETA3.
>>>
>>> One, atime is turned off everywhere by default.  There was a thread
>>> on this list on June 8 with a subject of 'Changing the default for
>>> ZFS atime to off?', and from what I can tell the idea of turning off
>>> atime by default was not a popular one.
>>>
>>> Two, and probably less controversial, is that fletcher4 is specified
>>> exlicitly on the root pool, even though it is default (wouldn't you
>>> just want to go with the default, in case it changes?)
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>
>> I have never heard a good argument for having atime on.
>
> Can you address some of the issues that people brought up in the thread
> I mentioned earlier?  I'll summarize some:
>
>  - breaks some software (MTAs were mentioned), and the admin should
>    know when to turn atime on in those cases.
>
>  - "any mail program using mbox mail folders uses them to correctly
>    report which mailboxes have not been read yet"

I'm looking at HEAD and I don't see "atime=off" for the /var dataset.
Knowing that most folks (accepting the defaults) will store their mail
in /var/mail ... does the concern over atime=off still exist?

However, I did notice that before we go creating the /var dataset, we
do set "atime=off" for the boot pool/dataset.

Is inheritance at-play here? and /var is turning up with atime=off even
though it's not specified?

In that case, I certainly agree we should remove atime=off from the last
place it is used -- the boot pool (nowhere else).

>  - "Of course it can't be turned off by default.  It is specified by
>    POSIX."
>
>  - "If the overhead were a real problem then file systems would use a
>    special atime cache"
>
>> The performance penalty on ZFS is quite large
>
> This is subjective, and if it were that bad it seems like other
> ZFS-based systems would have turned it off as well, or done something
> like caching/logging or relatime it to mitigate the performance hit.

I do recall discussions about bringing over relatime and making it the
default.

Allan was the one that brought up the performance hit...
Similarly where I $work, we turn it off where need performance (large
storage arrays and such).

I gather it's only a matter of time until relatime is default.

>> and it also makes your snapshots grow constant.
>
> This does not seem to be the case.  For example, if I snapshot
> zroot/usr/src and then tar it up, I generate a bunch of writes and the
> snapshot grows to 70.5MB.  However, when I tar it up a second time,
> there are writes but the snapshot remains 70.5MB.  It seems to use the
> same blocks for subsequent atime updates.
>
> If you made another snapshot, you would see more space used for that
> one, of course.

I'll defer to Allan to expand (was his recollection on snapshots)

>> If you have a use for it, you can turn it on I guess. This would be
>> solved by having the dataset editor we're planning for 10.1
>>
>> Seems easy enough to turn on once installed. And like Allan says, the
>> editor for 10.1 would allow changing of the default.
>
> The same case could be made for turning it off, make that an option in
> the installer instead.

Fair enough. Good idea.

> Some people don't seem to use atime on a regular basis, but I use it a
> lot when troubleshooting things, and I think others do to when they get
> to the point where they realize how useful it is.
>
>> I'll add that if scripting it, you can (in current state for 10.0)
>> change the dataset options at-will.
>>
>> The fletcher4 thing is a leftover, from older versions of ZFS where
>> the default was fletcher2, I suppose we can remove it
>
> While I'm picking nits:
>
> There are some other locally set things that are default (exec set to on
> on zroot/var/tmp is one), that might just inherit that from zroot/var.

Need a +1 from Allan on that.

> Also, zroot doesn't appear to be mounted on /zroot, as it is on other
> ZFS-based systems.  This has the side-effect of newly created
> datasets not having a mountpoint by default, instead of /zroot/dataset.
> I don't know of the reason behind this change either.

Hmm, wonder if that's been fixed in HEAD already.

> I'm going to cross-post this to -current, this is a topic that I think
> warrants a wider audience.

Cool. Thanks.
--
Devin