Re: Slow boot with 256GB of RAM?

From: Allan Jude <freebsd_at_allanjude.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:52:57 -0500
On 2013-11-16 00:48, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> Am 16.11.2013 05:37, schrieb James R. Van Artsdalen:
> > Asus Z9PA-U8 motherboard, 256GB of RAM, 2.4 GHz Xeon E5-2695 v2,
> > FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT r258092
>
> > There is a two minute pause when booting, after the loader's SMAP
> > display and the initial kernel output,
>
> > Does anyone know what's going on here?  Even that much RAM
> > shouldn't take that much time to clear.
>
> in an earlier discussion at FreeBSD Forums[1] it looks like this is
> related to some early stage memory test which is performed.
>
> It can be disabled by adding
>
>     hw.memtest.tests="0"
>
> to /boot/loader.conf. For my 32GB machine this helped.
>

> Best regards,
> Matthias
>

> [1] http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=12705

I see this was in the release notes for 9.0 and 8.3, but other than
that, I don't see how anyone was supposed to find out about this

Maybe it would make sense to print 'Starting memory test, set
hw.memtest.test=0 to disable' before that starts, so anyone stuck
waiting will have a hint about what to do.

--
Allan Jude