Re: WEAK_REFERENCE?

From: Andreas Tobler <andreast_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 23:00:55 +0100
On 14.11.13 07:00, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:18:27PM +0100, Andreas Tobler wrote:

>>> I am not sure why do you include the changes to END() in the same patch.
>>> Did you looked over the all END() usages on amd64, is it always paired
>>> with ENTRY() ?  The CNAME() for ELF is the pedantism anyway.
>>>
>>> Other than the somewhat questionable inclusion of the END() change, which
>>> should be committed separately, if ever, I think the change is fine.
>>
>> Am I correct, without this line in sys/amd64/include/asm.h?
>>
>> #define END(name)       .size CNAME(name), . - CNAME(name)
> Yes.  If committing it, please make separate commit.

Ok, thanks!

>> If so, I just need a usable dot.emacs file to match the formatting
>> expectations from bde. Sounds easy, but I didn't succeed so far.
> Nah, cannot be.  Emacs source code has too many inconsistencies, the
> code does not follow its own style.  I doubt Bruce would use it.

:) I asked and learned, (n)vi(m).... it is much simpler than I thought.
Keep it simple....

I prepared two patches, see below. The amd64 one is reviewed by bde_at_ and
the i386 is compile tested by me (runtime is theoretically also done,
but I'm not sure since I do not have 32-bit apps on my amd64).

The amd64 is compile and runtime tested. The tools, nm, shows that we
have the weak_references as before.

If you agree I'd like to commit both within a few days to -CURRENT. If
someone steps up and confirms that the i386 part also runs, would be
great, but I expect it to work.

If I'm correct, there is some similar work to be done on arm, mips and
sparc64, I'm happy to do this if the people like to have it done. But I
do not own either of them to test in native config. Except sparc64.....
Here I have blech ;)

Here the two patches
amd64:
http://people.freebsd.org/~andreast/weak_ref_amd64.diff