Re: Patch: Add option to fmt to ignore email reply lines

From: Mark Robert Vaughan Murray <markm_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:58:12 +0000
On 25 Nov 2013, at 12:54, Anthony Perkins <anthony_at_acperkins.com> wrote:

> I've added an option to 'fmt' to ignore lines beginning with the
> greater-than symbol, so that whole email replies can be piped through
> fmt (e.g. via vi from mutt) without needing to repeat the command
> for each of my paragraphs.
>
> This is my first real patch, so I would appreciate any feedback.

I’ve not tried your patch, but I like the idea. When using NMH, I like
to use a paragraph reformatter before sending, and fmt(1) was terrible
because (as you note) it can’t handle the reply quoting.

You may want to extend your idea a bit and do what par (ports/textproc/par)
does. This is a paragraph reformatter that takes the quoting into account,
replacing it after the paragraph wrapping.

Mark R V Murray