Re: Committing PEFS to CURRENT

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 00:56:42 +0200
Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com> wrote:
> > Hi Gleb & All
> > Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would like to ask everybody's opinion regarding committing PEFS to
> >> CURRENT.
> >>
> >> PEFS is a stacked cryptographic file system for FreeBSD. Development
> >> started as Google Summer of Code project in 2009. It has been in ports
> >> since Sept 2011. I maintain the project.
> >>
> >> Conceptually PEFS is similar to nullfs adding encryption layer on top of
> >> it. But it differs technically by not using vop_bypass. Another popular
> >> stacked cryptographic file systems include eCryptfs (linux) and encfs
> >> (fuse). There is also pam_pefs pam module to allow user authentication
> >> with their PEFS-encrypted home directory password.
> >
> > 2 others are also already in FreeBSD src/ (not just ports) gbde & geli.
>
> geli and gbde are different concept, they provide encrypted block level devices.

Yes, I allocate eg 2 Gig { via dd on a file on UFS or an MBR partition
on a USB stick }, [then use mdconfig if a file on UFS] before I
gbde, I've always thought I'd have to bite the ZFS bullet to escape
fixed sizing, but PEFS offers variable sizing :-)

> PEFS transparently encrypts data on existing file system.
>
> Here is what you can do with PEFS:
> % mkdir ~/Private
> % pefs mount ~/Private ~/Private
> % pefs addkey ~/Private
> % echo "Hello WORLD" > ~/Private/test
> % ls -Al ~/Private
> total 1
> -rw-r--r-- 1 gleb gleb 12 Oct 1 12:55 test
> % cat ~/Private/test
> Hello WORLD
> % pefs unmount ~/Private
> % ls -Al ~/Private
> total 1
> -rw-r--r-- 1 gleb gleb 12 Oct 1 12:55 .DU6eudxZGtO8Ry_2Z3Sl+tq2hV3O75jq
> % hd ~/Private/.DU6eudxZGtO8Ry_2Z3Sl+tq2hV3O75jq
> 00000000 7f 1e 1b 05 fc 8a 5c 38 fc d8 2d 5f |......\8..-_|
> 0000000c

Nice.

> Take a look a great article in the BSD Magazine or

Downloaded (free)

> http://glebkurtsou.blogspot.com/2009/10/encrypting-private-directory-with-pefs.html

Will do.

> > Whether moved from ports to src or not, either way,
> > I sggest add to man section SEE ALSO gbde(8) & geli(8)
>
> Good point, thanks.
>

> > Also, SEE ALSO of gbde & geli should probably ref ports/sysutils/pefs-kmod
> > ft: Command not found.

Sorry, line above my mouse seems to have caught my mistyped vi !}fmt from elsewhere.

> > No pefs yet i SEE ALSO of
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=gbde&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+9.2-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=geli&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+9.2-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
> >
> > I suggest add an href inside:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html
> > Even if just a 1 liner to start, to expand to a section later.
> > (None there for 'pefs', I just searched)
> >
> > Personaly I've been using gbde based on top of a file inside a UFS
> > for a long time, I can't remember why I chose gbde rather than geli,
> > I guess because it was there first ?
> >
> > A dummy's guide short notes along the lines of "Which of these 3 should I use?"
> > might also later be nice at the top of that web page :-)
> >

> There is no answer for the question, each system does it's own thing
> and does it differently:
> * With PEFS backups are much easier:
>  - Use regular backup software for backing up encrypted data (lower
> level file system), that would allow delta backup only.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what's meant.
  ( I use rdist6 to backup individual changes in one tree to a tree
  on gbde on an mdconfig'd image on a ufs on a remote host or local
  USB stick, Easy after set up, all normal tools work, but yes,
  target size is fixed unlike PEFS. )

>  - Create file system snapshots, e.g. zfs, then zfs send/receive,
> regardless whether file system is encrypted or not.
> * Setting up multiple encrypted file system is much easier -- no need
> to preallocate storage and create file system.
> * With PEFS it's possible to add key to encrypted home directory
> during login (pam_pefs).
> * PEFS let's you use multiple key in same file system.

Useful, I hope it makes it to src/ I suggest contribute summary above to

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html

Thanks
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".