Re: [CFT] Patch to bsdinstall to support root-on-ZFS and GELI

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 05:11:47 +0000
On Oct 7, 2013, at 10:07 PM, Allan Jude wrote:

> On 2013-10-07 15:59, Allan Jude wrote:
>> Devin Teske and I have been working on a big patch to bsdinstall to
>> implement installing on a ZFS pool. It supports both GPT and MBR, the 4k
>> sector gnop trick, and optional GELI encryption. We would like to commit
>> this in time for 10.0-BETA1 so it needs some testing to work out any
>> obvious bugs before we send it off to re_at_ to get it committed.
>>
>> It includes a single configuration menu that allows you to select all of
>> the required details, including which drives to use (gets details from
>> camcontrol, also includes an inspection utility that presents the
>> detailed output of camcontrol inquiry/identify, and gpart show), what
>> ZFS RAID level to use (taking in to consideration the selected number of
>> drives), GPT/mbr, 4k YES/no, GELI yes/NO, pool name, etc.
>>

>> Additional, it includes some other changes to bsdinstall:
>> 1. Change the default to the 'non-standard keyboard mapping' prompt to no
>> 2. Replace the 3 separate dialogs to configure an ipv4 address with just 1
>> 3. Remove the dialog asking if you wish to enable crash dumps, this
>> feature has been combined into the regular 'services to enable' dialog
>> and enabled by default
>>

>> You can browse the patches here:
>> http://druidbsd.cvs.sf.net/viewvc/druidbsd/bsdinstall_zfs/
>>
>> I've built a bootonly.iso (10.0-ALPHA4) to make testing easier,
>> available compressed (48 MB) or uncompressed (211 MB):
>>
>> http://www.allanjude.com/bsd/zfsbootonly_2013-10-06.iso.xz
>>
>> http://www.allanjude.com/bsd/zfsbootonly_2013-10-06.iso
>>

>> We look forward to your feedback
>>

> I've generated a new version of the ISO incorporating all of todays
> changes and moving up to 10.0-ALPHA5
> It includes 2 patches from Warren Block, improving the keymap menu and
> indicating which network interfaces are wireless

Excellent.

However, I have to say... you opened a can of worms by touching keymap.

Eventually I plan to rewrite all of the scripts to the same format that zfsboot
is using. I've already started rewriting keymap to the new format. Of course,
this opened up another can of worms... the simple things like:

DIALOG_OK
DIALOG_CANCEL
DIALOG_ESC

I feel would be much better off in the `dialog.subr' module. So,... I've started
peppering their usage everywhere in bsdconfig to make them "proper".

That means they will just be transparent from including `dialog.subr'.

> http://www.allanjude.com/bsd/zfsbootonly_2013-10-06.iso.xz
>
> http://www.allanjude.com/bsd/zfsbootonly_2013-10-06.iso

Excellent, thanks!
--
Devin

P.S. I have to get apache installed on one of my jails to server you the video ;)
I'll have a URL for you tomorrow morning. Trying to work through all the changes
in keymap to get it upgraded.