Customising FreeBSD - Was Re: rcs

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:23:40 +0200
[ My sympathies lean toward those who want to retain RCS,
but as I dont personaly use it, that's all on that. ] ...

> "screen, zsh, vim-lite, git" why is that so manual for me?  Why can't I
> just register a package set somewhere so that all I have to type in is
> "alfred.perlstein.devel" into a box during the installer and I get all
> my packages by default?

In 1993 I was tired of manually customising generic
FreeBSD to what I needed, so I wrote & still use
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/bin/.csh/customise
After cd /usr/src;make install
I run customise to apply all my outstanding src/ & ports/
patches & ports preferences etc from my public tree.
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/
& run src install again & then variations of
	cd /usr/ports ; make BERKLIX_MINIMAL=YES BERKLIX_CLIENT=YES
	make BERKLIX_SERVER=YES BERKLIX_GATE=YES BERKLIX_AMBITIOUS=YES install
I'm doing it on Alpha4 now. (Yup I know 5 is out, but ports/ takes
days to build).

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".