Re: rcs

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 11:17:31 -0700
On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Alfred Perlstein <bright_at_mu.org> wrote:

> On 10/7/13 9:49 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>> On 10/8/13 11:19 AM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>>
>>> On 2013-10-07, at 8:15 PM, Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.**
>>> edu <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Maybe there was no development for 15 years.  However, the 7364
>>>>

>> I think the fact is that most direct users of RCS use it in a very simple
>> way, and
>> it works just fine for that.  with no real need for any updates or any
>> change.
>>

> With all due respect Julian, The more we discuss this more this really
> points to the problem that FreeBSD appears to be a challenge to install
> packages into such that a package moving out of base is such a big deal.
>
> Can we fix that instead?
>
> I mean, this change should really not be a big deal, but yet it is and
> this speaks to the core of FreeBSD utility.
>
> So again, is there a way to make it so adding RCS after install is not a
> big deal at all?

​I haven't kept up-to-date with all the developments, but isn't this part
of the bsdinstall/pkgng plan?  Once the pkgng repos are all available and
populated, then bsdinstall will be able to install packages from there
during the install.  And, isn't that part of the plan for the DVD
installers, to include an "installer repo" for off-line installs?

IOW, theoretically, one could just download the 10.0 DVD, boot, install the
base, browse the repo on the DVD, select items to install, install, reboot,
and be finished.  Without ever needing to touch an Internet connection
until after rebooting into FreeBSD, if it's even needed at all.

Or was that one of the "pie-in-the-sky" ideas that hasn't materialised yet?​

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash_at_gmail.com