Re: [Heads Up] RCS removed from base

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:33:30 -0700
In message <52542687.7000100_at_pix.net>, Kurt Lidl writes:
> On 10/8/13, Julian Elischer wrote:

> >> Perhaps, a note in src/UPDATING is appropriate?
> >>
> > ok so what is this, the secret cabal to make FreeBSD useless?
> > I'm ccing core as I believe this was not discussed enough in public
> > (in fact not discussed AT ALL in any forum I am watching)
> > and I officially request a backout of the removal of what I consider
> > to be core functionality.
> >
> > My usual way of doing things is on install to ci EVERYTHING in /etc
> > to get a snapsot right the way back to install.
> >
> > now I have to change things in /etc (and other places) BEFORE I can
> > check them in.
> > (i.e. get networking up and ports installed)
> > not a big thing but I believe that a lot of poeple use ci/co on /etc
> > becasue it is "just there"
> >

> +1 for keeping a RCS in base.  I too use to maintain a bunch of
> files in /etc - I have for years and years.  I don't particularly
> want the GPL'd version - I'd be happiest with the OpenRCS version
> (BSD-licensed) from OpenBSD.

I've started work on a port (not that this was my highest priority but
received a private email that I may want to do this instead of rcs57).
Would the majority here rather have it in base? Just finished schlepping
the OpenBSD source to my laptop (the link to the OpenRCS site returns a TCP
RST). I don't mind either way. It's the groups's and the Project's call.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>