Re: [CFT] Patch to bsdinstall to support root-on-ZFS and GELI

From: Kurt Lidl <lidl_at_pix.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 17:14:40 -0400
>>> 5. I think some substantial part of the MBR code will blow up if you are
>>> reinitalizing a previously formatted disk (the bsdlabel will be retasted
>>> and come back from the dead).
>> Will not some combination of "gpart destroy -F" and (insert suggestion) work?
>
> Yes, that will work just fine.

Actually, it will appear to work, and then viciously hurt (substitute
more graphic verb for "hurt") you later, if you happen to repartition,
and are using a geom-mirror for your swap space.  At least if you manage
to get your old geom and new geom on the same physical location of the
disk.

To be safe, you really need to either zero out the space used by geom
before destroying the gpart label when it isn't in use, or run:

gmirror deactivate NAME provider1
gmirror deactivate NAME provider2

-Kurt