Re: Unable to installworld after successful buildworld and buildkernel

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 16:48:09 -0500
On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 09:38:14PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > To cross install FreeBSD on a system without the required users/groups
> > you must either install them on the base system so that install and
> > mtree can use them or use the -DDB_FROM_SRC option when running the
> > installworld/installkernel/distribution targets.
>
> -- Brooks
>
> That worked for installworld, was apparently not needed subsequently for installkernel.
>
> But where is DB_FROM_SRC documented?  I never saw it anywhere.  UPDATING file needs to be updated for installing FreeBSD on a partition where there is no OS installed.

It's documented in Makefile.inc1 where the less commonly used options
are documented.  It should be documented in the Handbook along with the
process of cross installation and image creation.

I disagree that UPDATING should document the process of installing to
other locations.  That would be a distraction from it's purpose of
letting users update their systems.  It's already far too complicated.

-- Brooks