Re: [CFT] Patch to bsdinstall to support root-on-ZFS and GELI

From: Allan Jude <freebsd_at_allanjude.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 03:20:53 -0400
On 2013-10-10 03:00, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> On 10/09/13 18:55, Teske, Devin wrote:

>>> This is one of the reasons the partition editor is written in C. There
>>> are a few other odd corner-cases where C is much more powerful than the
>>> command-line for the GEOM operations that partedit needs to do. I'm not
>>> sure how to usefully get it just from the shell. You can see how to do
>>> it in C in the boot_disk() routine of partedit/auto_part.c.

>>> There are some cases the other way too. Devin is probably the most
>>> shell-proficient FreeBSD committer.
>> Well, there's jilles ;D (he writes/maintains the sh(1) implementation itself).
>>

>>> I certainly can't write shell
>>> scripts at that level, which means that for me bsdconfig, for example,
>>> is effectively read-only (and quite hard to read as well).
>> In the past few days of working on the bsdinstall_zfs patch-set with Allan
>> Jude, I learned something new actually.
>>
>> It seems that sh(1) doesn't suffer so much from this "read only" concept.
>>
>> Imagine you're starting a new C project on an operating system that has
>> all new syscalls and all new APIs that you've never seen. Would be pretty
>> hard, no doubt. Now imagine that you're thrown a life-line called POSIX
>> and hey, now you're slinging code in MinGW on Windows when you don't
>> know a lick of M$ syscalls or APIs.
>>
>> In a similar manner, I've witnessed functionality be added that is truly
>> functional *without* using any of the API calls. Then I come in and do
>> a round of optimizations to leverage the existing API.
>>
>> Shell is kinda like that...
>>
>> I'm noticing Allan Jude doesn't know all the API calls yet (who could? other
>> than me of course -- and even I have trouble remembering them _all_) yet
>> this doesn't phase him (or others) from jumping in and lending a hand.
>>
>> No different than C, but the read-only aspect is lessened significantly I
>> believe because there are so many people out there that know enough
>> good shell syntax and are just a stone's throw away from *great* shell
>> syntax (which I must admit jilles helped me cross that boundary).
>>
>> I think in C, the read-only aspect is greater because its harder to parcel-out
>> the functions for a unit-test; harder to inject new code; and harder to get
>> to a functioning end-state.
> Look, I have no doubt that in the right hands shell can do amazing
> things and C can be badly written. That isn't the issue though. My
> statement was purely that most FreeBSD developers (me included) are more
> comfortable with C than shell when used at the kind of level involved
> here. This is not a value judgment but a statement of fact. Whether or
> not, at some platonic level, shell or C or python or whatever are more
> or less read-only is not the point here. The point is that I, and I
> suspect many other developers, cannot write (or read) very advanced
> levels of shell scripting but can read and write the equivalent programs
> when written in C in many cases. It's what the rest of the system is
> [...]
I definately see your point, but the code going in to the zfsboot part
in particular, is not that advanced. I started this project two weeks
ago with a well below average knowledge of shell script, a minor bit of
experience in php, and no real programming experience to speak of.

I wrote most of the code that actually does things, Devin just cleaned
it up (I didn't know anything about shstyle or the rules) and pointed me
at some handy subroutines he had written to avoid writing out 20 lines
of code every time I wanted to display a dialog box

I wouldn't say any of what is in the proposed patches to bsdinstall is
unmaintainable, and it definately makes it much more approachable for
sysadmins who are the ones that actually need to be able to script
bsdinstall, and generate various methods of automated deployment. This
is a very important feature if we want FreeBSD to be taken seriously for
deployment in mass virtualization environments (do not make my say
cloud. we saw a great sign in Malta at some street festival "what is
cloud?")

--
Allan Jude